Helping Those in Need




Right now, turn to someone you know and ask "is there a place for the homeless to go when it's cold?" I bet you most of the time the person will respond "of course". They will not know the details, nor how they know this to be fact, but they just know it. Meaning no offense to who you asked but chances are they are wrong. But it's normal for Americans to think there is a service for everyone in need.

When it is near freezing, I have heard of churches in my area opening up their doors. But I don't know that when it's 50 degrees it's considered cold enough for such luxury.

I'd like to organize a way to help the homeless and those in need. Surely we can figure out a way to redistribute food, clothes, blankets.

Like many of us, I am short on extra money. But being a project manager I know I have the skills to organize.

Bring on the ideas!!!


UPDATE: First Idea
Find where in your city you can donate clothes that go directly to the homeless. I'm not talking about a charity that sells donations to thrift stores. But one that will directly hand your clothes to someone in need.

Here's one in Seattle that takes childrens clothes. Contact your friends and see if they have any of these items around the house.

In the comments post a link to your city's website that helps the homeless.

United Way of King County (Washington State) homeless programs

1 comment:

TH said...

I just read your post on Daily Kos...in eastern Kentucky, where I was raised, we used to organize groups of people who would go out and help people in the community who had fallen on hard times--once a group of us went out to an old lady's house who had fallen and broken her hip, and we cut her grass, cleaned her house, and brought her a load of groceries. Another time, we helped some of the families who had been affected by a lay-off at one of the big coal mines by bringing them produce people in the community grew in their gardens and donated to the cause. Try networking with people in your community and try to make a project out of helping one person at a time.