African Children Charities

In 2005, I watched Live 8, the follow-up to Live Aid. I saw something that I still carry with me. During one of the documentary style videos that discussed the Africans' plight, there was a little boy in red walking down the street.

He had a look on his face that reminded me of being a kid- almost like mom was making him walk somewhere and he held his head down in defiance to not being able to do what he wanted to do. I can't accurately describe it. But what it made me realize- children all over the world are exactly the same.

Boy in Red and his "mom do I have to" demeanor (and I'm not even sure mom was around) struck a chord. Or maybe he just looked sad. Or not sure what to do.

I occasionally think about Boy in Red. I wish I had Warren Buffet money and feed Africa. And people here as well. Heck, world poverty.

Little did I know, a few months after Live 8 would be Hurricane Katrina. Another defining moment I'll explain next time.

I wish I knew what international charities are respected, and actually are able to deliver food to people that need it. Use Charity Navigator to find a charity.

No comments: